Search This Blog

Loading...

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Coastal Scents 252 Ultimate Palette Review

Coastal Scents had some really good deals in January! I got their new 252 Ultimate Palette for $14.97 (regular $24.95). I ordered it on January 14th, 2013 and received it on January 25th, 2013.

There are many similar palettes out there, from the 88 to the 120 (also sold at Coastal Scents, BH Cosmetics, Ebay, etc), but what makes this palette unique is that each colour is sold individually in full-size. I think that's awesome! They are called 'Hot Pots' and have been around for a few years, but CS recently added each colour from this palette.

Several weeks prior during another sale, I had purchased 13 Hot Pots, choosing colours that I knew I would wear. I loved each one and when I saw the 252 palette on sale, I figured it would be cheaper than purchasing more Hot Pots.

I also purchased the Smokey Palette as I've heard rave reviews about it from various vloggers and bloggers.

I loved seeing this bright pink box in the mail! A couple years ago when I last ordered palettes from Coastal Scents, the box was quite plain.

This was on top. Full text:
"To Whom It May Concern: This letter is to confirm that all ingredients used in our products are fully compliant with the directive and its amendments. The concentration of parabens (Methyl, Propyl and Butly Paraben) in our products is less than 0.8% and Titanium Dioxide is less than 25%. In accordance with relevant international cosmetic regulations, our products contain minimum amounts of preservatives while ensuring optimal efficiency. Naples, Florida, May 11, 2012. Sincerely, Reto Kramer, President"

Great packaging- nothing was damaged!


Free stuff! Bumper sticker, business cards and a mini quad.



The front of the outer cardboard sleeve.

The back of the outer cardboard sleeve.

Front of the palette

Back of the palette with ingredients.


First tray
I like that it's wrapped!


Second tray, also wrapped.

Third tray, wrapped as well.
After unwrapping each tray, there was a clear plastic sheet on top of each tray to protect them and keep the fall out from spreading amongst the trays.

First tray, up close: cool-toned
Primarily green, neutrals and blue

Second tray, up close: warm-toned
Primarily yellow, orange, red, pink and neutrals

Third tray, up close: mixed
Primarily neutrals, pastels
Swatches on bare skin without primer. Some applied heavily to show up on camera (mostly the matte ones).
Swatches of some of the green colours from the first tray.

Neutral swatches, first tray.

Blue swatches, first tray.

Orange and yellow swatches, second tray.

Pink and red swatches, second tray.

Neutrals, second tray.

Random colours from the third tray.
Overall, I like this palette, but I don't think it's necessary if you already have some 88 or 120 palettes. The quality is much the same, but the pots are smaller (dime-sized) which makes them a little more difficult to work with.

Most of the eyeshadows are shimmery, but there are some matter, satin and glittery ones too. By far, the shimmery ones are the most pigmented and the matte ones are hit and miss. 

If you don't own any multi-palettes from Coastal Scents, BH Cosmetics or Ebay, then I'd say to get this one as it has the most and is roughly the same price as the rest. And if you find that you really like certain eyeshadows, you can purchase the full size from Coastal Scents rather than buy another palette.

The third tray is kind of random. I think it would have been better if it were designed like the first two, but including a purple and jewel-toned gradient. 

I'll be doing a comparison of the 252 Ultimate Palette and the individual Hot Pots soon, but so far I can say that I think I like the Hot Pots better. Perhaps it's because they're bigger, but so far the quality of the matte Hot Pots is much better.

The 252 Ultimate Palette and others like it are also available on Amazon:




What are your first impressions of this palette? And if you already have it, do you like it? Let me know!



2 comments:

  1. Hey! I'm thinking of buying some eyeshadows and I'm not sure which colors to get. I like neutral colors like gold, browns, and bronzy colors. Which do you think is best?

    ReplyDelete